Monday, May 4, 2009

Japan - Day 8 - Sagami Giant Kite Festival

Today we went to the Sagami Giant Kite Festival. I was at the same festival 20 years ago to the day. The event has grown since I first attended, with several thousand people attending and four separate giant kites being launched. The kites are 14.5 Metres square and weigh just over 950 Kgs. It takes between 80 and 100 people to launch it. Each year, the kites are made from scratch. Twenty years ago I remember hearing that people were injured or killed often at this event. I don't know if that is the case anymore or not. We also got to watch some Japanese drummers at the festival. I don't know how they compare to the Scotish drummers, but they were entertaining. I have attached a couple of videos which I think best captures the day. Cheers until next time...Ian


The Launching of the Giant Kite





Sagami Giant Kite Festival



Japanese Drummer

No comments:

Website Purpose

This website will be used to track the Gray Family Travel in 2009. Ian, Chris and their two children, Thomas and Katelyn are going to spend a year travelling together. This trip has been a goal of the family for years, and as Ian turned 50 in January 2009, they are making it happen.

Thomas and Kate will be required to keep up with their education as they travel. Both have laptops and will stay in contact with friends back in London. Given the length of the trip, the number to countries to be visited has been restricted to allow for a more in-depth experince in the countries visited.

In most locations, a vacation home has been rented. This form of accomadation is not only reasonably priced, but will allow for home cooking as opposed to continually dining in restuarants.